We stayed at the hotel for the first week while we went to the house every day to clean, fortunately it was the Mid-Autumn Festival and Will had the entire week off. The Mid-Autumn Festival is second only to the Chinese New Year in significance. It is held on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar, which is usually around mid or late September in the Gregorian calendar. On this day, Chinese family members and friends will gather to admire the bright mid-autumn harvest moon, and eat moon cakes and pomeloes together.
Once the holiday was over and Will went back to work I stayed home to clean and to deal with the hundreds of problems that kept popping up. First was the fact that the A/C was not working properly and you need it here even in Sept/Oct. Our satellite TV that the owners promised us with English channels had only 1 channel and it was all movie soundtrack videos!!! The hot water tank was not working, Internet had not been installed, windows that wouldn't close, a broken security system , mold growing on walls, broken glass on the kitchen cabinets, jacuzzi tub with no motor, and a broken headboard just to name a few. Olivia, the assistant to the VP at Will's office has been helping us with getting all of these issued fixed, but with the Chinese nothing is simple. Everything involves extreme negotiations and can take several days to get sorted. Even after the contractor has arrived most of the time they don't have the tools or parts needed(since 80% of these workers drive scooters) and they have to leave several times to go back to the store or office - very annoying. Olivia tried to be at the house when someone was coming over but sometimes she could not make it, leaving me to try use my charades skills and sign language. When that didn't work I would call Olivia but if she did not answer I was out of luck.
Which brings me to another point, why the heck do the Chinese not have voicemail? This is not an option that it possible here, they suggest the use of text messaging instead, like I have time for that. Anyways, we seem to have the biggest issues taken care of but it has been a learning experience to say the least. I have been keeping busy doing little things that take longer around here. I have to do laundry every day because the washing machine is so small and even thought it is a washing/dryer, it doesn't really dry it just steams so all items need to be hung to dry and often ironed. I also have to grocery shop every second day, first because the fridges are tiny so I can only buy a few things at a time, secondly because Will still has to get his Chinese drivers licence so I have to walk/taxi and can only carry so much, and third because they don't use a lot of preservatives so thinks like bread and milk only last a couple of days.
You don't realize how good we have it in Canada until you experience something like this. I know that I sound like I am complaining a lot but I am happy that we decided to take on this challenge and I am sure things will get easier as time goes by. I am excited about my new teaching job that I start on Monday, its only a few days a week but it will get me out of the house and hopefully I will learn a lot from my students. We still have not received our container with all of our goods from Canada but it should be here next week and I look forward to a big bowl of Kraft Dinner as long as it doesn't get confiscated.

1 comment:
Moon cakes and Pomeloes!!!!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmm!!!!
Well, I'm glad to see the two of you are at least managing things!!! I know that it's quite a challenge to adjust to things there, but over time you will - and then it'll be time to come back home! lol
Good luck with your teaching job!!!
Post a Comment